Networker

Re: [Networker] Poor performance with disk backups after un upgrade

2009-11-19 10:03:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Poor performance with disk backups after un upgrade
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:01:08 -0500
> EMC's recommendation is to enable VSS on the servers and then
> install the MS patch.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

I've run that. Every once in a while, I still see VSS errors. Sometimes I
just turn VSS off, for certain clients ...

> Questions :
>

> [1] Do i also need the following hotfixes ? Currently we are running
> disk based backup for our clustered file servers (3 win 2003 -64
> bit) using Networker and each server has 800 GB of SAN space
> allocated for user and share data.
> We have configured our files servers as Networker storage nodes.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951568
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167

Not unless you are specifically seeing the errors mentioned in your event
logs, I would think. I have a similar config (clustered Win2003 servers,
as storage nodes, with SAN disk space as AFTD devices), mostly for SQL,
altho my largest is a file server (1.5TB).

> [2] How does NW wotk with MS VSS ? I woud like to point shadow
> copies to a different drive (LUN). What are the size and
> configuration requirements for the shadow storage volumes in MSCS ?

Now, there's a good question ...