Networker

[Networker] Upgrading from 7.4.2 to 7.5 advice

2009-08-11 10:02:15
Subject: [Networker] Upgrading from 7.4.2 to 7.5 advice
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:57:34 -0400
I'm planning on upgrading my NW environment form 7.4.2 to 7.5. All my
clients are Windows. I have regular clients, and about a dozen storage
nodes (all AFTD devices), some of which are clusters (2 node clusters,
most of which run MS SQL). From what I've seen so far, and based on past
upgrading experiences, what I need to do is:

- upgrade server first (run the 7.5 install from the download)
- upgrade the dedicated storage nodes (again, just run the 7.5 install; no
need to uninstall first)
- for the clusters; fail all cluster resources to one node; upgrade NW
client on the other node; fail everything back to the newly upgraded node;
upgrade the other physical node. No need to run the install on the virtual
client of the cluster.

The SQL clients in the cluster are running 5.1 SP1, of the SQL Module. If
there's a later version, I can install that, too (same general procedure -
one physical node at a time).

Have I missed anything? Being Windows, I'll reboot each machine after
upgrading, even though it may not technically be necessary. Obviously,
I'll make sure there are no jobs will start to run until after all the
upgrades are done.

The regular clients will be upgraded when I can get to them (I have
something like 75). I do know the server, and all the storage nodes,
*must* all be running the same version of Networker, but the clients can
continue connecting with their older versions (all 7.4.2),

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM