Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading from 7.4.2 to 7.5 advice

2009-08-13 07:32:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading from 7.4.2 to 7.5 advice
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:26:16 -0400
> From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:11:44 -0400
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] Upgrading from 7.4.2 to 7.5 advice
>
> Do you have any NW 6.x clients, and do they work?
>
> I can't upgrade a few of those as they're on Solaris 2.6 (special compile
> hosts that require this OS release); 7.x series won't install on that.  There
> may also be a number of PCs floating around with an old client (Win-NT4
> anyone?).
>
> All my Solaris 8 hosts should now be on 7.x series, though some are 7.1.4.
>
> Also, you're obviously using solaris 10; Has cloning been OK for you?  I'm
> concerned about something in the release notes that said cloning may take a
> performance hit in Solaris 10 + NW 7.5.x.

The problem that I saw with having clients older then 7.3 is that the 7.4.x
or later server will show thousands of error messages along the lines of
"can't communicate with nsrjobsd" or something like that. The clients'
backups should work fine, but those error messages get annoying and its what
prompted me to update all my clients to 7.4.4 where possible. Fortunately
for me, it was only two clients where they couldn't be updated past 7.2 and
one of them has since been retired, not sure about the other one.