Networker

Re: [Networker] Archive Bit and Networker

2009-06-17 16:08:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Archive Bit and Networker
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:02:46 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Preston de Guise
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:47 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

By default NetWorker still uses the archive bit for Windows platforms
to determine what to backup. Unfortunately every second programmer and
his or her dog _also_ uses the archive bit on Windows for just about
anything else they damn well please.

This means that when other products that use the archive bit get
installed on systems getting backed up by NetWorker you get this exact
issue.

The trick is to set an environment variable on the backup server
called NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE. Set it to any value other than "No" - I
usually set it to 1 or YES to make it plainly clear what I'm trying to
do.

Cheers,

Preston.

Preston de Guise

----

Hello! - quick related question - Can anyone tell me where and how the
"networker change journal manager" fits in here? I was under the
assumption that if enabled (as it seems to be by default), nw server
would ignore the archive bit for windows clients.  Is that
incorrect/wrong?

Thanks!

Regards,
Jamie