Networker

Re: [Networker] Archive Bit and Networker

2009-06-17 15:51:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Archive Bit and Networker
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 05:46:36 +1000
On 18/06/2009, at 24:37 , tkutil wrote:

What function does the archive bit have in regards to how networker determines if a file needs to be backed up.

I was running a level 1 backup last night and ran out of tapes. It looks like it did a level 1 backup, but I think all of the files may have the archive bit set, so it basically tried to backup everything?

We installed a piece of software called Goldfire, which is used to search for information within files. We pointed at a few file shares yesterday and I am wondering if that caused all of these files to be marked for archive.

By default NetWorker still uses the archive bit for Windows platforms to determine what to backup. Unfortunately every second programmer and his or her dog _also_ uses the archive bit on Windows for just about anything else they damn well please.

This means that when other products that use the archive bit get installed on systems getting backed up by NetWorker you get this exact issue.

The trick is to set an environment variable on the backup server called NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE. Set it to any value other than "No" - I usually set it to 1 or YES to make it plainly clear what I'm trying to do.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com