Networker

[Networker] Please critique our setup

2009-06-17 10:43:48
Subject: [Networker] Please critique our setup
From: jasondre <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:40:12 -0400
Hey all, I'm new to Networker, only been using it for 8 months and am basically
the only one at our site using the software.  I just want to share our setup
and hopefully get some ideas on what I could be doing different/better.

So, here goes.

Equipment:
Dell PowerEdge R900 - Networker Server
Dell 124T Autoloader LTO-4- physical tape drive
EMC DL3D 1500 - capacity 3.8 TB (at the moment 1.55 TB Free space)

Software:
Networker 7.5.1

Alright, now that I've got that out of the way, here is our setup.  As you can
see, we aren't a huge operation and it seems that the way we are configured is
working so far.  But i'm wondering if it could be better.

Right now the DL3D is split up into 10 smaller LTO-3 VTLs.  I am using 5 VTLs
for backups that are on a "weekly" retention policy and the other 5 for backups
that are on a "daily" retention policy.

Every weekend we do a full backup directly to tape.  We don't use any cloning.
Should we?  I don't really see a need as of yet.

Also, we keep 4 weeks worth of "snapshots" on our EMC Celerra for quick
recovery purposes.  Which, in my opinion, makes our DL3D completely worthless.
So, in the event we need to do a recovery from longer than 4 weeks, I have to
go to tape.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this setup?  Anything you might do
differently?