Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup does not load tape in proper volume sequence

2009-01-22 14:55:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup does not load tape in proper volume sequence
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:51:06 -0800
Michael asked: "What single command are you issuing, that will label
multiple tapes in
sequence, from multiple slots? Or am I misunderstanding?"

Michael,

First of all, we load the tapes in the library slots in numerical
order.*

I just use the GUI (this is in Windows).  Highlight the group of tapes
you want to label (click on the first then click on the last while
holding the shift key down) and click the Label button.  Set the right
pool and tell it to label Fast/Silent so it doesn't ask you "Are you
sure?" about each tape and tell it to go. (You can also select
non-consecutive slots by using Ctrl rather than Shift).

Alternatively you can use a command line command.  When you use the GUI
the command the GUI produces shows up in the messages window.  It looks
like this:

        nsrjb -j Bullfrog1 -Y -L -g -bBkupPool -S 2-6

Note: on the command line produced it also included the parameter -O40.
The help says that should only be used by the server.  If you use it
yourself it puts a lock on the jukebox that can only by cleared by
rebooting.

Note2: We use bar-coded labels.  If you aren't there would be some
differences in the above.  Before we had bar-codes I used a script with
a separate line for each slot and an explicit label on each command.  I
would edit the script for each new run but it worked pretty well and the
fact that they were individual commands for each slot but run
consecutively seemed to work the same as specifying all the slots in one
command.

Hope this helps, Dave

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon

* We are pretty small, one tape per incremental day about 15% full and 6
tapes for the weekend Full.  If you're dealing with a much larger number
it might not be worth the effort to try and keep it all straight but for
us it makes it easy to find and identify tapes needed for restores and
which tapes should be initialized next.  I also ignore whether Networker
thinks they are eligible for labeling or not but base it on time.  We
have enough tapes in the rotation of daily backups for about 7 weeks
between uses.  Our minimum standard is 5 weeks.  So when I want to
re-label tapes I simply choose the ones with the oldest backups on them
and force a re-label.