Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup does not load tape in proper volume sequence

2009-01-22 21:01:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup does not load tape in proper volume sequence
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:57:56 -0500
Oh your question is perfectly clear. However, the question you were asked was perfectly clear as well and you have not yet answered it.

The reason you were asked what command you used to label the tapes sequentially was because networker will use the most recently labeled group of tapes in the order they were labeled.

That means, if you just had NMC label the six tapes and your jukebox has three tape drives so NMC used two tape drives to do the labeling, that we surmise the labeling of tape #3 finished before the labeling of tape #2 did (because they were being done in parallel).

Now, had you used the CLI and forced networker to label all six tapes in a single tape drive, then we would be scratching our heads about why things are being used out of order as well.

Frank