Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov

2008-07-03 09:24:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:21:07 -0400
On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:16 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:

Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 07/03/2008 09:08:30 AM:

If you delete the volumes you want to relabel with "nsrmm -d volname"
you should be able to relabel them.

OK, that works. But why do I need it *now*? I know I never had to do
"nsrmm -d volname" before. I would just mark them as recyclable, and just
issue the nsrjb -R -L command.

I can put that in the script, before it re-labels. Have to look up the
option for non-interactive use.

You're lucky if this is the first time you had to delete volumes from the media database in order to manually relabel them. You certainly shouldn't need to do that, but it is a "normal" course of action for many NetWorker system administrators, including me. Why? I don't know. I chalk it off to a software bug. Perhaps it will be fixed in a future NetWorker version, but considering this problem has persisted for years, I am not holding my breath. On the upside, for some reason, I noticed that this happens a lot less frequently since I upgraded to 7.4.