Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov

2008-07-03 10:32:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems re-labeling tapes after mmrecov
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:27:47 -0400
"Peter Viertel" <Peter.Viertel AT macquarie DOT com> wrote on 07/03/2008
10:06:16
AM:

> Perhaps those tapes you are recycling were labelled after the date
> you used for your mmrecov. In fact I recall the other day you said
> your retention was less than 2 months.

My retention is 2 months, actually. The tape I used on 2008-07-02 was made
on 2008-04-28, so it was over 2 months old. The tapes in the library were
almost certainly labeled after 2008-04-28, I think, yes.

> Tapes have a short and a long internal volid. While the short one
> stays the same, they get a new volid each time you relabel. So when
> you mmrecov'd to 2 months ago that would be expected that you would
> have a mismatch between what's in the mmdb and on the tape's label.

Hmm. I did not know about the 2 volids.

> This is a safety mechanism to prevent tapes from different datazones
> with identical barcodes from being accidentally wiped. Be thankful
> for it. It prevents pain and is the essence of why networker keeps
> your data safe even when you mix up drive ordering.
>
> Next time you have WISS errors I suggest you try and avoid mmrecov
> if possible.
>
>  Try shutdown. Remove the tmp files. Startup and run nsrim -X

Did that multiple times; it didn't help. Removed tmp, and the mm db. Did
nsrck -L6 and nsrim -X. Did controlled scavenging. I still had the WISS
errors, even after that procedure. So Tech Support walked me through
mmrecov.

At the moment (tape labeling aside), it seems to have helped. At least I
can run a bootstrap again. :-) (savegrp -O -l full -b Bootstrap) Even that
was badly failing, the other day. Next up with be to run a group. Then run
2 groups at once - that was causing me to invariably fail; "lost
connection to server" messages, jobs never ending, all sorts of havoc and
grief. Certainly not what I need right before a major holiday. And my
birthday. :-)

Fingers crossed.