Networker

Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info

2007-11-02 10:54:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info
From: Brett Monroe <mr.bmonroe AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:50:28 -0700
Graeme,

I forgot to include the Networker list in my corespondents...perhaps other
readers could find value in our discussion.

I am also seriously looking at Diligent (as well as DDs VTL option).  Their
offering is nice because it's just the dedup/VTL software and we can built
our own hardware around it ...even though it offers no replication feature
like DD.  Most of our data is on Sun Solaris boxes with about 30-35% on
Windows (~30 TB total).  We are also re-evaluating our commitment to
Networker as well as their Agent offerings are not as strong as some other
vendors.  We are also looking at CommVault and Veritas.

I agree with your assessment of client-side deduping today, but think that
in the future things may change as CPU's get faster and more specialty
engines get added to them (like Sun's crypto engines this are on their T1
and T2 CPUs).

Thanks
--Brett