Networker

Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info

2007-11-02 11:16:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info
From: Brett Monroe <mr.bmonroe AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:13:01 -0700
John,

Thanks for the great read.  One of the reasons I like Diligent (on paper
anyway) is that I can roll my own as they say.  With DD, I only have their
hardware options.  With Diligent, I can build a real IO brute and hook it up
to screaming fast disks.  This way I can upgrade the components over time
rather then the whole unit.  Now that's not to say I am in love with
Diligent.  I really like DD as well.  As others have said (as have you),
they really have the most mature product on the market (as far as I can
tell) and that goes a long way.  Also their product is no slouch for IO
either.

But one thing that I would really like to know is how any of these products
behave for concurrent operations.  IE, how does DD handle (IO wise) doing a
backup and restore at the same time?  Or even just a restore (in a DR
situation).  Most numbers I see on deduping vendors web sites are the
screaming fast backups, but I don't see much about restores.  So how
expensive is un-deduping?

Thanks
--Brett

On Nov 2, 2007 2:27 AM, John Chaney (ChaneyFamily) <john AT chaneyfamily DOT
biz>