Networker

Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info

2007-11-02 08:47:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:43:45 -0000
I wouldn't bother with a dedup device for two main reasons.

Firstly, these will quickly be made redundant with Avamar integration with
NetWorker.  I can't be sure, but I doubt that this will even be a licensed
feature, as Veritas already include this functionality for free with NetBackup
- of course, NetBackup is generally a bit more expensive than NetWorker, so who
knows for sure?

Secondly, you're adding a virtualisation layer between NetWorker and the disk.
Personally, I've never been particularly impressed with NetWorker's disk
handling, given that it still treats them as tape devices and given the number
of staging and cloning problems that yzou see - these are just managed recovery
and backup operations, and shouldn't be particularly problematic.  Not only do
they have a disproportionally high number of problems even when NetWorker knows
where the data is, that's going to be multiplied if the dedup device is
anything other than 100% reliable.

Also, though this issue will remain in any case with dedup, if one block on
disk is damaged, how many files is that likely to hit?

That's my personal opinion, obviously.  I'll soon be working with network dedup
devices, and they're highly impressive at improving network performance.  The
difference I see there is that the data you're dedup/reduping is likely to be
used immediately, and you'll quickly identify problems.  In the case of backup
and restore though, you may not find out about problems for a long time, and
those problems could hit a lot of files.

Cheers,

Stuart.