Networker

Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info

2007-11-01 12:53:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Data De-Duplication product info
From: Graeme Parker <graeme.parker AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:31:38 -0600
Hi Brett,

We currently have approx 40TB worth of Data Domain in our envrionment based
on 460's, 560's, and 510s.  They work great and generally see an average of
10x compression.  If you are backing up any Virtual Machines we have seen
compression ratios as high as 135x.  Mind you this is with the backup of the
vm not being compressed before being dumped to the DD.  Support from DD has
been excellent and we will continue to grow our infrastructure over the next
few years. Client side Dedup in software over a LAN just seems silly as it
requires process cycles on the client side.. it might make sense when
sending data over a WAN as you only send the deduped bytes. That being
said.... we use DD boxes in each remote region so since we own the LAN there
is no worries about bandwidth usage and the DD boxes replicate over the WAN
to the same effect.  Having a dedicated device that does dedup on the fly
has worked great for us.  The only issue we have with Legato is its ability
to understand there are two sets of data somewhere that it didn't move
itself (post replication).

Graeme.