Networker

Re: [Networker] mmrecov via disk device

2007-05-03 06:55:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] mmrecov via disk device
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 06:53:21 -0400
We once had a disaster recovery test where the index tapes failed to arrive
at the DR site. We averted a "disaster" with this procedure:

1.      On the source server, obtain and install a license enabler (temporary or
otherwise) for NetWorker’s Disk Backup Option

2.      Create a group named "Bootstrap"

3.      Create a client definition for the NetWorker server, Save Set: All

4.      Create a file system with mkdir /nsr/bootstrap and a device with
Media/Devices/Create. The device name is the directory name, Media Type: File.

5.      Create a pool named (couldja guess?) "bootstrap" with group=Bootstrap
and
Device=/nsr/bootstrap

6.      Label the Device in the GUI

7.      Run the backup with savegrp -O Bootstrap

8.      The resulting bootstrap report will contain an entry resembling:
     date     time      level ssid        file  record   volume
     09/26/06 10:40:58   full 756628505 756628505    0   servername.001
The numbers for the save set ID and file correspond to a file in the
bootstrap directory:
/nsr/bootstrap# ls -l
total 892320
-rw-------   1 root     other    2193162 Mon dd 10:41 756628505.0
-rw-------   1 root     other    2375024 Mon dd 10:40 773405221.0
-rw-------   1 root     other       6553 Mon dd 10:40 volume

9. tar, compress and copy the entire bootstrap directory to the target
NetWorker server

10. At the receiving server, uncompress and un-tar the file to create and
populate the /nsr/bootstrap directory

11.     Run mmrecov as usual, using the indicated save set ID, file and record
numbers:
# mmrecov
mmrecov: Using servername as server
…
Enter the latest bootstrap save set id: 756628505
Enter starting file number (if known) [0]: 756628505
Enter starting record number (if known) [0]: 0
Please insert the volume on which save set id 756628505 started
into /nsr/bootstrap.  When you have done this, press <RETURN>: <ENTER>
Scanning /nsr/bootstrap for save set 756628505; this may take a while...
…
The recovered resources are available on the destination server as usual.

HTH,

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 2 May 2007 09:03:29 -0400, Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT