Networker

Re: [Networker] Feedback on Networker 7.x and NETAPP NDMP required

2006-12-22 09:29:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Feedback on Networker 7.x and NETAPP NDMP required
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:23:05 -0500
Keep having problems with posting this so i will try to shorten the txt
NDMP SETUP for NETAPP Filer.
If something is missing or you need help, write to me directly and i will
try to answer your questions.

NDMP CLIENT SETUP
Create separate Group for NDMP backup.
1.      Set parralism value at group level instead of client level for
resons below.
If the group Parallelism is set to a higher value,
There will not be enough drives to support all the save sets that are
queued for
A backup. Large save sets may fail due to the Inactivity Timeout limit. In
Addition, if more than one group is being backed up at the same time,
divide
the number of drives by the number of groups and use that value for each of
the group Parallelism attributes.
ON The Filer:
Turn NDMP on
ndmpd version {2|3|4}
example:
options ndmpd authtype plaintext,challenge
NOTE: Did not have to configure Defaults were OK…
This setting must include the authentication type supported by the NDMP
backup application.
options ndmpd.authtype challenge
options ndmpd.authtype plaintext
options ndmpd.authtype plaintext,challenge
For details see Specifying the NDMP authentication type.
If operators without root privilege on the storage system will be carrying
out tape backup operations through the NDMP backup application
·       Make sure they have a useradmin account on the storage system. If
they do not, enter:
·       useradmin useradd username
·       Display that user's system-generated NDMP-specific password.
Enter:
·       ndmpd password username
When running the NDMP backup application, the user must input this NDMP-
specific password to connect to this storage system and carry out NDMP
backup and restore operations.
For details, see Generating an NDMP-specific password for non-root
administrators
NDMP LOGGING:
options ndmpd.connectlog.enabled {on|off}
The value you set for this option will persist across storage system
reboots.
·       source port (port through which the NDMP request was transmitted)
·       storage system port through which the NDMP request was received
Example entry
Friday Sept 13:16:45:17GMT ndmpd.access allowed for
version =4, sessid=34,
from src ip = 172.29.19.40, dst ip =172.29.19.95,
src port = 63793, dst port = 10000.

NDMP Client SETUP
Prerequisites
CREATE SEPRATE CLIENT RESOURCES FOR EACH NETAPP CONTROLLER, CREATE
MULTIPLE CLIENT RESOURCES TO CONTROL SCHEDULES AND OR POLICIES
Important: To perform a DAR recovery, use the recover command or the
NetWorker User program. You cannot use nsrndmp_recover for a recovery
with  DAR.
SET HISTORY =y/n_____
SET REMOTE ACCESS AS REQUIRED

Need to set Storage node with all names of filers & storage node.
SET EXCLUDE= This string value determines which files are
Excluded from backup.  (OPTIONAL)
The following rules
Apply:
• the string is a filename.
• The asterisk (*) is accepted as a wildcard,
But it must be the first or last character in
the string (or both).
• To list multiple files, separate each name
with a comma. A comma cannot appear
as part of the filename.
• You can specify up to 32 strings.
SET EXTRACT_ACL= y/n
y/n. To recover access control lists (ACLs)
when using DAR with a NetApp host, you
must set the value to y. The default is n.

SET UTF8 =Y/N___Filer and Legato environmental settings should match.

NOTE: VALUES ARE CASE SENSITIVE
SET DIRECT = y/n_________sets Direct access restore value ( DAR)
SET UPDATE =y/n _______Updates file history.
SET UTF8=y/n_____Specified in the Application Information attribute of the
Client resource.
If the NetApp filer’s volume is configured for UTF-

Apply remote user\password, backup cmd is needed also.
Fill in application information with references to it in this document.
SAVESETS: Qtree Name is the best way to backup the filer data.
i.e. /vol/CIFSB_HOME/QHOME
/vol/CIFSB_ODOC/QODOC
Will backup both qtree’s on the same volume separately, allowing faster
and more granuler restores.
Can also use ALL

Group Settings:
Set Inactivity TO=0, SG parallels to 2, Force Incremental = OFF
Create special NDMP pool for NDMP backups, also allow NDMP Group to backup
to NON-NDMP pool for client index (NDMP Clients) backup or else indexes
will not backup.
Savegrp parrallism = number of devices available for backup due to NDMP
limitation of one stream per device.
Group inactivity timeout should be set at Group Level =0
This is to prevent large save set from timing out.

Force Incremental = OFF
NDMP Backup cannot do incremental; setting these settings will
cause “FULL” Backups.

SG parrallism to 2
Each Tape attached can only handle one save stream from the filer, there
is no multiplexing from the filer to the tape drive, if you run into
bottleneck, you may need to assign more drives to the filer.

Perform a test backup after you complete the following:
• Enable the NDMP Connection.
• Add the NDMP host to a backup group.
• Select a backup schedule with browse and retention policies.
Note: Incremental backup settings are not supported. If the incremental
Setting is selected; the NetWorker server performs a full backup.
However, you can schedule differential level 1 backups to function like
Incremental backups. For example, complete a full backup on day 1 and
level 1 backups on days 2 through 7.
• Select a volume pool for the data.
Note: To prevent a non-NDMP volume from being selected for an NDMP
backup, create separate pools for NDMP and non-NDMP volumes.
BACKUP & RECOVERING with NDMP_SAVE:
nsrndmp_save –c netapp760a –s hawkeye -I NWClient_host –M –T
dump /savepoint
T= what’s supported by vendor as valid ndmp option i.e. dump

Important: NDMP does not support the recover options Rename Recovered
File and Discard Recovered File. For both save set and file-by-file
recoveries,
current files are always overwritten.
Optimizing Recoveries
When a backup is performed with the -P, -I, or -M option with the intention
that nsrdsa_save has a locally attached non-NDMP device and that the best
Available technology is used to write to the storage device, then, while
Performing recoveries, it is advised to launch a recovery on a host that
has
Locally attached NetWorker devices, and a volume that can be found on the
Same device, so that the recovery uses the best available technology, such
as
Chapter 12: NDMP Support for the NetWorker Server
LEGATO NetWorker, Release 7.2, Microsoft Windows Version
Immediate recover or direct file access. If a recovery is launched on a
host other
Than the device host, then the recovery performance will degrade as data
flows
>From the device host to the recovery host and, then, from the recovery
host to
NMP data server.

With large save sets (save sets with 20 million files or more), the
recovery time
For a file can exceed three hours. This also applies for backup, as the
metadata
For the whole volume is recorded onto tape even for a single file backup.
The supported configurations are:
• Nonlocalized NetWorker release 7.1 software for English Windows 2000
on NetApp filers running Data ONTAP 6.3.x and higher.
Contact Network Appliance Support to verify which languages each of the
Various Data ONTAP versions support. Not all Data ONTAP versions support
The backup and recovery of all languages. NetApp is compliant with
Internationalization support. However, the ability of a particular Data
ONTAP
Version to back up and recover the local language settings must be
verified.
The following sections contain important notes, requirements, and
Recommendations for supporting localized data with NDMP.
UTF-8 Versions Supported
The NetWorker software supports the UTF-8 format with CIFS clients. NFS
Clients of a NetApp filer are only supported if the NFS clients can
generate
UTF-8 encoded data. Support for UTF-8 is specified in the Application
Information attribute of the Client resource.
If the NetApp filer’s volume is configured for UTF-8 encoding/code set, the
NetWorker server must also have the UTF-8 variable set to Yes in the
Application Information attribute of the NDMP Client resource. If the
filer’s
volume is not configured for UTF-8 encoding/code set, the NetWorker server
Must also have the UTF-8 variable set to No? To support nonASCII characters
When using NDMP, the UTF-8 settings on the filer and the NetWorker server
Must match.
Single Save Sets Support Only One Code Set
A single save set supports data belonging to only one code set. If you
have data
In multiple code sets, you must create multiple save groups.
The save set can contain filenames that belong to different languages if
all
Characters in those languages belong to the same code set. For example
ISO 8859-1 and ISO 8859-15 include most Western European languages, such
As French, Spanish, and Portuguese, so filenames from these languages can
be
Backed up in a single save set.
df
Table 86. NetApp Application Information Variables (Part 1 of 2)
Variable Required? Values and Meaning
DIRECT= y/n Yes for DAR
Operations
y/n. This value must be set to y if you are
Performing a DAR recovery. If you are not
Performing a DAR recovery, the value is set
To n. DAR is supported on Data ONTAP 6.1
And later.
For additional information about DAR, see
"Performing DAR Backups" on page 627.
EXCLUDE= No This string value determines which files are
Excluded from backup. The following rules
Apply:
• the string is a filename.
• The asterisk (*) is accepted as a wildcard,
but it must be the first or last character in
the string (or both).
• To list multiple files, separate each name
with a comma. A comma cannot appear
as part of the filename.
• You can specify up to 32 strings.
EXTRACT_ACL=
Yes to
recover
ACLs
y/n. To recover access control lists (ACLs)
when using DAR with a NetApp host, you
must set the value to y. The default is n.
LEGATO NetWorker, Release 7.2, Microsoft Windows Version
Administrator’s Guide
Chapter 12: NDMP Support for the NetWorker Server

EXCLUDE =NO
This string value determines which files are
excluded from backup. The following rules
Apply:
• The string is a filename.
• The asterisk (*) is accepted as a wildcard,
but it must be the first or last character in
the string (or both).
• To list multiple files, separate each name
with a comma. A comma cannot appear
as part of the filename.
• You can specify up to 32 strings.
EXTRACT_ACL=
Yes to
recover
ACLs
y/n. To recover access control lists (ACLs)
Table 86. NetApp Application Information Variables (Part 2 of 2)
Variable Required? Values and Meaning
ACL’S:
EXTRACT_ACL=y
Yes torecoverACLs
y/n. To recover access control lists (ACLs)
when using DAR with a NetApp host, you
must set the value to y. The default is n.

UTF:
UTF8=y/n
Y= For UTF formatted data.
y/n. Specifies whether the data on the filer is
in UTF-8 format. To support nonASCII
characters when using NDMP, the UTF-8
settings on the filer and the NetWorker
server must match.
If the data from the filer is not in UTF-8
format, set the value to n.
If the data from the filer is in UTF-8 format,
set the value to y.
The default is n.
FYLER INFO:
Displaying Devices
sysconfig -t    Displayes attached Tape Devices USE only Non-Rewind device
type during JBCONFIG, do not use \\ in front of Netapp devices during
jbconfi i.e nrst0a---a is for High compresion
sysconfig -m    Displays attached Changers
Storage show tapes      Displays Tape Devices
options tape.persistent_reservations on Normally Not needed
mt -f device name status        Use to check status of tape deives
Selecting correct Tape device:
Use sysconfig –t
>From the avallable device type select NON REWIND Device with Highest
compression to use with JBCONFIG.
Attched is current JBCONFIG info for ADIC \DDS & Legato 7.2.1