Networker

Re: [Networker] Missing data from server backup

2006-07-06 10:06:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Missing data from server backup
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:59:00 -0400
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:31:58 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>On Tru64 Unix and Mac OS X 10.4.x, the pathname is at least 500
>characters. At least, that's how for I got when I tested this a few
>weeks ago. When I tried it in Windows NT and 2003, Windows would not
>allow me to exceed the path length. So I am wondering how people
>manage to create files on a Windows server that exceed the path length.

I've seen this created simply by using relative path addressing rather
than absolute path addresses eg cd to folder whose path length is say 240
chars long then create a subfolder 20 chars long absolute path to folder
is now 260 chars long. I've yet to see an OS that checks that a file or
folder created by relative path methods exceeds the absolute path limit. I
think in SunOS the limit is 1023 chars.