Networker

Re: [Networker] Stopping use of the default pool

2006-06-29 21:33:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stopping use of the default pool
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:32:46 -0700
> Let's pretend I'm an idiot (well maybe this is close to the truth...) I
> want to do all my backups by hitting the GUI -> group control -> Start
> backup. How do I get it to stop trying to use a device from the Default
> Pool?

The backup must match the selection for your pool.  How are yours
defined?

"group" is only one of the methods.  There's also levels, clients, etc.

The reason that you can't modify the "Default" pool is that there must
always be a pool that matches.  The "Default" pool is that pool if none
of the others are adequate.

So, can you tell us what pool you think your backup should match and
what (all) the settings on it are?  A common mistake people make is to
overspecify things.  Don't check any of the levels if you don't care
about splitting the levels to another pool.

> Suggestions saying unselecting the Default Group in the pools window don't
> do the trick.

No.  That won't work.  You have to make the pool you want it to to fit.

> But there is some interaction between the levels setting in
> the pool window. I have to have all the levels selected in order for it to
> work. But if I do that, then It always seems to do a full backup, when I
> might like it to do some other level. So - confusion reigns.

Unclick all the levels.  Is anything else in the pool set?  Does it just
specify a group or anything else?