Networker

[Networker] Stopping use of the default pool

2006-06-29 12:09:50
Subject: [Networker] Stopping use of the default pool
From: Sid Shapiro <sid_shapiro AT BIO-RAD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:09:51 -0700
Hello,
( This will probably turn out to be a basic configuration question - sorry
about that...)

All of our backups are initiated by scripts that are triggered by cron
(unix) or other job scheduling systems. We do not use the scheduler in
Networker. (by the way - does anyone actually use the scheduler? We need
more precise control over our job streams and timings, which is why we
don't use the Networker scheduler...)

So in our calling scripts, which use (mostly) the savegrp command, we
specify directly the pool and level values.

Occasionally it would be nice to use the nwadmin GUI  group control to do
manual backups, but whenever we do this, we are always prompted to load a
device from the default pool. I have tried everything I can think of to
have it only use a device from the specific pool that I want to be used,
but nothing works.

I know this is a general question, but without giving you the whole set of
resources, I don't know what else to tell you. What would you need to
know? Or what specific things should I be looking at?

Thanks!
oh - btw - Networker server 7.2.1 on Solaris, or HP-UX (got both - both
act the same way...)
/ Sid /