Networker

Re: [Networker] General Backup Question

2006-04-06 20:23:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] General Backup Question
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:21:13 -0500
Kathleen,

We basically have 2 types of backups.

1-The normal daily backups (full on Sunday, incremental on the other days)
that we use to restore user goofs and for disaster recovery if necessary.
We keep these for a minimum of 5 weeks and the daily incremental generally
takes up less than 5% of a tape (AIT-4) and the fulls generally less than
2.25 tapes.  For these we send the clones off site 5 days a week and keep
the originals in the library and let them fill up.

2-Our "Month End" backups are done on the last fiscal day of our month and
we shut down Oracle, our ERP software (MK), Exchange and SQL Server and do a
"cold" backup of all of the files that are normally open all of the time.
As well we back up the rest of the files that get backed up normally.  For
these we send of the original and keep the clone because we keep these tapes
for 10 years and the original has been verified by making the clone.

We generally don't worry about verifying our clones but periodically switch
the drives (there are 2) we use for cloning and original backup.  This at
least gives us a check of the drives.

Hope this helps, Dave.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc