Networker

Re: [Networker] General Backup Question

2006-04-07 14:28:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] General Backup Question
From: Eric Horn <Ehorn AT CO.LUCAS.OH DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:25:02 -0400
We send the clone(s) offsite.   When we need to recover a file from a
backup, it always prompts for the backup volume , not the clone.   My
understanding is that if you were looking for a file (from the GUI),
unless the original tape was overwritten, the clone volume wouldn't even
appear as a choice (someone please correct me if I'm missing something
here).   That is how it appears on my system.   For example, if I have
files backed up to tape 000005 and that tape was cloned to 000065,
000065 doesn't show up until I overwrite 000005.  Networker in my
experience has been very good detecting tape errors, if the backup tape
has an error, the clone will also fail to clone that tape, and if the
clone tape has an error it lets you know.      I'm using 7.1.2 on Linux
BTW.

>>> kathleen_scalise AT ML DOT COM Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:35:55 PM >>>
Do you send backup tapes or clone tapes offsite?  THe clone verifies it

was a good backup, but how do you verify the clone...reclone?  Just
curious.  Thought I saw a post that said somebody was keeping clone
tapes
onsite and backups offsite.

body of the email. Please write to
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems