Networker

Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3

2005-12-30 12:49:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Legato 7.3
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:49:17 +0000
Tim Mooney wrote:

NMC == NetWorker Management Console.  I've never used it and have only
seen it demoed once, but it's essentially the cross-platform, Java-based
GUI that's going to replace the nwadmin/networker command on all
platforms, eventually.

Eventually = NOW. You may not have realised this but there is no nwadmin in the Unix/Linux package for NW 7.3. nwadmin is dead, long live NMC.

NMC is a huge bloated package, and depends on Java. You MUST have a compatible browser and a compatible Java run-time environment to use it. On Unix/Linux each user needs to configure a couple of files and set an environment variable before it will work. On Windows you may need to mess around with proxy settings. It's not "out-of-the-box" like it previously was. Also because of the size of NMC and the bundled JRE you now need in excess of 600MB free disk space to install even a client on Windows.

Over the last two days I have set up NMC on Windows 2000 and on an unsupported Linux flavour, and I was cursing at it both times. I got them working eventually and the GUI looks quite smart, if not a little too much like the old Windows GUI that I never really liked. If I had been someone evaluating NetWorker I would probably not have persisted, I would have already moved on to another backup product and dismissed NetWorker.

As an aside, it was kind of a surprise to me to find out that apparently
a lot of customers don't like the nwadmin GUI on UNIX and have been
clamouring for a replacement.  Maybe it's because I've been using it so
long that it's warped my brain, but I really don't have any complaints
about the native Motif GUI.  It's not perfect by any means, but I can
think of lots of other places in the product where I wish Legato/EMC
would spend more time.

nwadmin is ugly and quirky, but I know where everything is and I love it. I am not going to share my views about the decision by Legato to scrap it without even an overlap period, but I'm sure some of you will have something to say. nwadmin from 7.2.1 or earlier will still work with 7.3, but as new versions are released, more features will be added that cannot be configured from an earlier GUI, so it will eventually become useless. I would really like to see nwadmin live on. Perhaps we could persuade EMC to release the source code of this obsolete GUI so that others could keep it alive?

"signoff networker" in the