Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker server off line

2005-12-16 21:44:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker server off line
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:40:38 -0600
Eric -

Thanks, that did it.  It took over 4 hours to run, but that finally did
it.

This was totally fascinating to watch (although frustrating, as well),
as it probably generated thousands of lines of code to watch.

As far as I can tell, this is the issue -

I run W2K on this machine, and when the service tried to start, it runs
through all of the clients (193 on this machine), and tries to resolve
them through DNS.  Since the machine was not on the network, therefore
it had no way to resolve the names (unless I coded 193 names in a hosts
file). It would take 30 seconds per client to time out.  Once it got
through all of that, it also did a consistency check on the media
database, and that took a while.

So, short of it, I'm up, and can modify what I need to modify (base
enabler and change server name), so that I can plug it into the network.
If anyone has any experience with changing a base enabler, let me know.
Legato says that I can do it witch the nsrcap command.

Thanks again for the tip, Eric, it saved me a lot of time with Legato on
Monday.

David M. Browning Jr.
LSUHSC Enterprise Network Operations/Help Desk
(504) 654-7520 (Blackberry Phone Number)
(504) 398-1444 Direct (Temp New Orleans number)
(504) 914-7550 - Cell