Networker

Re: [Networker] Best usage of tape drives

2005-10-27 17:47:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best usage of tape drives
From: Ernst Bokkelkamp <ernst AT BOKKELKAMP DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:39:49 +0200
Hallo Bill,

Only you can answer the question. This is (a part of) the art of
administrating a networker backup application.
But just looking at the bare details, you should be able to backup all data
using a single stream on a single LTO-1 tape drive within 6 hours easely.
About 12,5 Mbyte/sec gives about 50GByte/Hour (if the clients can deliver).
This very much depends on your hardware and software.
300GB isn't really a lot with the equipment you have available, you are a
lot better off compared to the configuration I used to maintain with DLT7
drives backing up 1.5TB / weekend using a 100TX network with a large number
of lame clients such as 133Mhz Pentiums servers. With todays equipment it is
not unusual to see backup performance of 200Gbyte/hour from a single client
using multiple drives. A few years (2?) ago I did some testing using a
NetApp F960 with 4 LTO drives attached and this system was able to push
240GByte/hour using 4 simultaneous NDMP backups.

Bye
Ernie