Networker

[Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?

2004-05-18 14:52:14
Subject: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:53:45 -0400
Hi,

After reading several posts and followups, I'm still confused about this
business of the client ID versus the resource identifier and what, if
anything, I should do with these values if re-creating or renaming a
client:

1. Let's say I accidentally delete a client. Since the old index is
still on the server what happens to it if I re-create the client? Will
NetWorker continue using the old index directory/files? Should I rename
the old index before re-creating the client and then move the old index
back into place?

2. If I can determine the old resource identifier for the client, before
the deletion, what, if anything, would I do with that number/value? For
example, after re-creating the client, would I want to edit the nsr.res
file and change the new value for the client back to the old value?

3. Do I want to change the client id for the new client back to the old
value? If so, how do you do that or what command would you run to
perform this change? Is there ever a time when you would want to do
this?

4. What if a client is renamed? Should I simply delete the client,
re-create with new name and then rename the old index?

Thanks.

George