Networker

Re: [Networker] AIT-3 under Linux

2004-02-24 18:02:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] AIT-3 under Linux
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT TUCOWS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:57:49 -0500
   Thanks Tim,
   I was told by Spectralogic support that it is not necessary to touch
the density code since drive picks density automatically (based on what
media is being used).
   They also mentioned that what I need can be set with "mt
defcompression" command.
   From that I assume I can use compression=1 in stinit.def and this
should suffice.

Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] AIT-3 under Linux, Yura Pismerov said (at...:

  Thanks, I am trying to get the density codes from the vendor.

Wow, I thought it was hard to find information on HP's web site.  Sony's
is worse.  I eventually found

       http://sony.storagesupport.com/ait/

If you pick the "SDX-700C" from the "Browse by Model" drop-down and get
the "Product Description Manual" from the documentation list, it has
the break-down of how the drive responds to various SCSI commands.

Based on the information in the "REPORT DENSITY SUPPORT" SCSI command on
page 6-85, it looks like

       AIT-3 ("mode")  = 0x32
       AIT-2 ("mode")  = 0x31
       AIT-1 ("mode")  = 0x30

As Itzik said, you need to be sure that the hardware settings (likely
dip-switches or jumpers) on the drive aren't overriding the OSes settings.

If you have an OS command (like Linux's sg_modes from the sg3_utils
package) that can report the results from the MODE SENSE command, you can
use it to determine what the defaults are.  That will probably tell you
whether jumpers/dip-switches have been set on the drive, or whether it's
being left up to the OS.

Tim

Itzik Meirson wrote:

Code 0x00 for density means use "default" drive density.
You have to find if this means compress or not in the drive specs and/or
switches/jumpers setup.
Once you find from the drive documentation what is the "density" code
for compression you can specify this with the density=0xYZ in your
stinit.def under the modeX line.
Itzik

  I need stinit.def entry for AIT-3 with h/w compression turned on.
  All the examples I found refer to density=0x00 which I assume does
not imply h/w compression, right ?
  What density code should I use ? Or should I use "compression=1"
instead ?

  TIA.

--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu