Networker

[Networker] Archiving and Pools; NDMP and Pools

2003-10-16 16:08:00
Subject: [Networker] Archiving and Pools; NDMP and Pools
From: Deb <nw AT TICKLEME.LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:56:28 -0700
Hello,

I'm getting ready to make two new, unrelated configuration settings.

1.  Set up pools for archiving - but we don't necessarily want to archive
    entire systems, just certain directory trees on servers.  This would
    be some very large data sets.

2.  Set up the server to do NDMP backups of NetApps using the
    NW server's autochanger.

NW is v6.1.1, on a Sun E450, autochanger is an ATL P2000, SDLT x 8 drives.

I currently have 100 unlabeled tapes in the robot, and I would like to
set up pools for the NDMP backups to exclusively.  In addition, I will
be setting up the archive pools as well.

I've been reading the sysadmin guide, but I'd be interested in the seasoned
advice of veterens on this list.  I've never done either of these kinds of
functions, and would welcome information.

BTW, we chose archiving with client indexing over cloning in order to be able
to have indexes remain indefinitely.  Whereby with clones the indexes would
expire when the original savesets expire.

Best Regards,

deb