Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups

2003-10-16 02:11:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:10:00 -0400
Riaan Louwrens wrote:
>Unfortunately no ideas on my part - we have been seeing quite a few slow
>performance issues on Novell as well. When we back the data up to the
backup
>server we get dog slow speeds (50KB - 100KB /s). Everything is checked out
>fine (all tsa's and network etc).

This has been covered several times before in this group.

The problem is most likely an old gigE card on your server. It does not
cope well with small TCP window sizes. Turn off the high performance option
on the card and you are likely to see an overall drop in throughput, but an
increase in throughput from your Novel clients.

The problem would be trivial to fix by Legato, but they have proven to be
VERY unwilling.

greetings,