Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups

2003-10-16 10:02:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <Tarjei.Jensen AT AKERKVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:00:17 +0100
Tony Skalski wrote:
> Based on our testing, I'd have to disagree. We setup a brand
> new SunFire V480 (Solaris 9) and a new NetWare server (using
> an Intel server motherboard) connected them with a crossover
> cable and we see terrible performance when the backup is
> initiated at the Solaris server. When started from NetWare,
> performance rocks.
>
> At least in our case, we believe the poor performance is due
> to delays ACKing packets sent from the NetWare box.

The netware server is not supposed to do any ACKs at all. All data flows
from the networker client to networker server. It is the server which do all
acks.

It might be that the gigE card on the netware server does not forward the
ACK packet to the netware tcp/ip stack in a timely manner. I'm not sure if
that is a likely scenario.

greetings,