Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups

2003-10-15 10:17:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell NDPS - Slow Backups
From: Stephen Fouchek <stephen.fouchek AT GLO.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:14:31 -0500
We are already running the tsa600 with the /cluster=off switch.  It can
see the local volumes, but cannot back them up at a reasonable speed
(currently at 1mb/sec) while the NDPS volume resides on that server.  If
we don't backup the NDPS volume, it works, but unfortunately the old
rule fathers tell their children, if that makes it hurt, don't do that,
won't apply here.  We need a backup of the NDPS volume.

Any other idea's?
Thanks,
Steve

>>> "Ryan Tassotti" <LSS5 AT brisbane.qld.gov DOT au> 10/14/03 05:26PM >>>
Hi Steve

Just curious .... are you backing up a cluster alias (eg. CLUSTER1), or
each physical node (eg. NODE1, NODE2).

If you are backing up the physical nodes (I'm pretty sure you can't
backup the Netware cluster alias), try loading tsa600.nlm with the
"/cluster=off" switch.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10084061.htm

/me is clutching at straws  :-)

Regards,
Ryan.

>>> stephen.fouchek AT GLO.STATE.TX DOT US 10/15/03 07:26am >>>
Hello All...

We are running NDPS (NDPS Manager 3.01 & NDPS Print Subsystem 3.0) on
Novell 6.0 SP3 box and are seeing very slow backups (1 mb/sec) while
backing any volume on that server.  The NDPS volume is part of a
Virtual
Server thats data resides in a Novell Cluster.

If NDPS gets transferred to one of the other clustered servers, the
problem follows, and the original server starts backing up at proper
speeds (4-7 mb/sec) again.  If we backup everything and exclude NDPS
from the backup savesets, all works OK, but as soon as the backup
touches the NDPS volume, it is back to 1mb/sec backup speeds.

We are running Legato Networker 6.1.3 Server on a unix server and
running the legato novell 4.21g client on the Novell box.

Legato as usual has no clue on this and states that none of their
customers have reported anything along these lines.  Found this hard
believe.

Any idea's???

Thank you,
Steve

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email

The following message has been received from the Internet.  Please use
with caution the message and any attachments

This message has passed through an insecure network.
All enquiries should be directed to the message author