Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?

2003-01-29 12:55:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?
From: Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:36:52 -0500
George: most of my data is ordinary, garden variety Oracle. I don't
think that has implications for compression one way or another. my
network is, or should be, plenty fast enough. I qualify that statement
because some clients seem to backup much more slowly than others for
reasons that seem to have nothing to do with network capacity. actually
I have a couple of large NetWare boxes that seem to backup quite slowly
so maybe software compression would improve them.

Jim Lane
Sr. Technical Consultant
Network Services
Toronto Hydro