Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?

2003-01-29 13:35:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:36:00 -0500
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:40:04 -0500, Jim Lane <JLane AT TORONTOHYDRO DOT COM>
wrote:

>Stan: I'm using DLT7K tapes that are supposed to be 35GB capacity
>uncompressed. when I see, in the "Volumes" display on the GUI, larger
>amounts of data recorded on full volumes, am I entitled to regard that
>as a measure of the effectiveness of compression?

Yes, if the data going to tape is not also software compressed, then the
amount of data written to the tape is indeed an accurate indication of the
effectiveness of hardware compression on that tape.

Save sets that are software compressed show a size much less that the real
amount of data within, so the amount of data on a tape wholly containing
software compressed data should be very close to 35GB.