Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox Config w/ STK L180

2002-08-13 19:04:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox Config w/ STK L180
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:07:09 -0500
In regard to: RE: [Networker] Jukebox Config w/ STK L180, Faidherbe,...:

>Be aware using a lot of pools, you may get serious problems,
>Networker not just labelling the tapes he needs but
>far more tapes than he needs, causing you problems for
>other pools awaiting for a tape.

I've seen that exact behavior, and it does indeed tick me off.

What I do to avoid the problem is not give NetWorker a mass of blank tapes
at once.  I keep our jukebox (STK9710) loadport (14 slots) mostly or
partially loaded with blank tapes, and then only feed blanks into the
jukebox when I know they are going to be needed or when NetWorker
indicates that it's "waiting for writeable media".  It is sub-optimal,
but I like having more than 1 backup pool, and I'm not about to do without
auto media management.  It also causes problems for swapping the DLT
cleaning cartridge with hardware drive cleaning as run by the jukebox,
but I'm also not about to switch to NetWorker-controlled cleanings.

Note that this behavior (labelling way more blank tapes into a pool than
NetWorker needs) is actually a regression.  NetWorker 4.x never used to do
that -- it only labelled them as it needed them.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu