ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and data domain

2011-06-17 07:42:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and data domain
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:41:31 -0500
On Jun 16, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Paul Zarnowski wrote:

> At 05:59 PM 6/16/2011, Nick Laflamme wrote:
>> We need to do a bake-off -- or study someone else's -- between using
>> deduplication in a DataDomain box and using both client-side deduplication
>> and server-side deduplication in TSM V6 and then writing to relatively
>> inexpensive, relatively simple (but replicating) storage arrays. However, we
>> keep pushing the limits of stability with our TSM V6 servers, so we haven't
>> dared tried such a back-off yet.
>
> Nick,
>
> We are heading down this path.  My analysis is that in a TSM environment, the
> fairly low dedup ratio does not justify the higher price of duduping VTLs.
> Commodity disk arrays have gotten very inexpensive.  We're using DS3500s
> which are nice building blocks.  We put some behind IBM SVCs for servers,
> some attached to TSM or Exchange servers (without SVC).  Common technology -
> different uses.  We use them for both TSM DB, LOG and FILE (different RPM
> disks, obviously).  Using cheap disk vs VTLs has different pros and cons.
> using disk allows for source-mode (client-side) dedup, which a VTL will not
> do.  VTLs, on the other hand, allow for global dedup pools and LAN-free
> virtual tape targets.  deduping VTLs will be more effective in TSM
> environments where you have known duplicate data, such as lots of Oracle or
> MSSQL full backups, or other cases where you have multiple full backups.  For
> normal progressive incremental file backups, however, TSM already does a good
> job of reducing data so VTL dedup doesn't get you as much, and in this case
> IMHO cheap disk is, well, cheaper and gets you source-mode dedup as well.
>
> We are in process of implementing this, but I know a few others are a bit
> further along.

It's too bad there isn't a USA-based users group for TSM that meets annually or
even semi-annually for things like user presentations and panels on topics like
this. :-) I'd love to go to a "TSM Workshop" at some university campus to geek
out on topics like this.

Dedupe ratios are all over the place for us. We've got some in the high teens,
and I already mentioned the low end, low single-digits. Part of me wishes we'd
broken our library volumes out into smaller replication pools (and
corresponding TSM library pools) so we could get a little more granularity on
dedupe ratios, but what I really want is volume-by-volume (or file-by-file for
NFS mounts? Directory-by-directory?) dedupe ratios.

Adding a copy storage pool on the same DDR is cheap from a DDR point of view;
it seems to dedupe great when I do that. The TSM DB size becomes the limiting
factor in that case.

> We will continue to use TSM Backup Stgpool to replicate offsite.

We're replicating at the HW level; TSM doesn't know it. That makes me a little
nervous.

I forgot one thing I don't like: having specific "cleaning" cycles on the DDR
is annoying. We run it two or three times a week on a couple of our DDRs to
keep them from getting too high (above 80%) in utilization, but I wish it just
constantly did its own garbage collection.

> ..Paul

Nick