ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and data domain

2011-06-17 10:40:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and data domain
From: Steven Langdale <steven.langdale AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:29:53 +0100

> I have had DD implemented for about a year now, but I fail to understand
> why anyone would utilize the DD VTL license when using TSM?
>
> Mine are setup as a simple SAN device with defined directories that
> correspond to my TSM primary storage pools. I have the device calss in
> TSM set as the type "file" and let TSM manage the virtual volumes as it
> would any other disk storage. There is another DD system that is located
> at our DR facility, and all data including TSM DB backups are replicated
> to that location. This allows me to no longer have copy pools.

Rick

A not uncommon configuration, I have also used DD's of NFS for disk pools as
well.  Then only time I've seen them as VTL's is when LAN Free was required.

I would however think again about not having a copy pool as you are leaving
yourself open to TSM logically corrupting data and having no backup.