ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Opinion on disk layout for db, log & storagepools

2010-09-27 11:23:09
Subject: [ADSM-L] Opinion on disk layout for db, log & storagepools
From: "Moyer, Joni M" <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:20:18 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of acquiring new disk which means that I will be able to
layout the storage for the database, log and storage pools in a more efficient
manner.  I was told by IBM that a filesystem should contain no more than 2-3
volumes and there should be a 1 to 1 ratio of physical disk volumes to TSM
volumes.

I was thinking about doing the following but I was wondering if there is a
known limit to the size of a volume that should be used for the database or
storage pools?  And should I have more storagepool volumes created per
storagepool?

Any suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!

3 filesystems that are 50 GB each with 1 physical 50 GB LUN with 2 TSM database
volume per filesystem:

Filesystem                          Volume                Size (GB)
/tsmdev/db1                     dbvol1                  25
                                              dbvol2                  25
/tsmdev/db2                     dbvol3                  25
                                              dbvol4                  25
/tsmdev/db3                     dbvol5                  25
                                              dbvol6                  25

For my log volumes I'm just going to create 1 filesystem with 1- 15 GB lun and
then create 3- 4 GB log volumes from it:

Filesystem                          Volume               Size (GB)
/tsmdev/logfs                   logvol1                  4
                                              logvol2                  4
                                              logvol3                  4

Storage pools:

Filesystem                          Volume                                Size
(GB)
/tsmdev/stgpool1           vol1                        50
    Represents AIX storagepool
                                                Vol2                       50
                        Represents Sharepoint storagepool
/tsmdev/stgpool2           vol3                        250
   Represents vol1 of Linux storagepool
                                                Vol4                       250
                       Represents vol2 of Linux storagepool
/tsmdev/stgpool3           vol5                        250
   Represents vol1 of Oracle storagepool
                                                Vol6                       250
                       Represents vol2 of Oracle storagepool
/tsmdev/stgpool4           vol7                        125
   Represents Lotus Notes storagepool
                                                Vol8                       125
                       Represents Solaris storagepool
/tsmdev/stgpool5           vol9                        200
   Represents vol1 of Windows storagepool
                                                Vol10                     200
                      Represents vol2 of Windows storagepool
                                                Vol11                     200