ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.

2010-09-27 10:34:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:32:35 -0400
Cc,
   An important consideration in restoring a file is understanding the
retention settings of a copygroup and the distinction that two settings
affect HOW MANY copies of a file are kept after they change or are
deleted and two settings affect HOW LONG files are kept after they are
changed or deleted.

VERExists - how many copies
VERDeleted  - how many copies
RETExtra - how long to keep
RETOnly - how long to Keep

If a file never changes or is never deleted from the client, it will be
restorable as long as it is not deleted from the TSM server - a nice
benefit of the incremental forever method.

   As a general rule, for general filesystem backups, I keep all
versions (VERE & VERD) but set limits on how long (RETE & RETO) deleted
and changed files are kept.  This way, if a couple of files are
constantly changing, I can reliably roll back to any date within the
retention time and restore any file.  Again- this setting is something
that varies with each environment.

It may take a while to understand these settings and how they interact,
I would suggest that you set up a test policy with short settings to
observe how things work.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.