ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??

2010-05-28 08:20:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:19:05 -0400
Steve, Yes that is an option but also would have consequences in a
restore/recovery situation. The clusters are where the company's user home and
group directories live, hence permissions are somewhat granular to say the
least. In a recovery situation they would be lost or at a minimum restored
incorrectly which would lead to the all too frequent scenario of blaming the
backup architect.

Probably the most I can do at this point is to continue making sure that they
are aware of the resulting cost when these changes are made. Then they can
decide if they want to pay the bill or push back on the planned changes, which
is usually fruitless as the person or department making the changes will hide
behind the claim that it needs to be done for "compliance".

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some way to deal with it that I may
have been overlooking.

Thank you
~Rick