ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??

2010-05-31 09:48:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??
From: Gary Bowers <gbowers AT ITRUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 08:47:04 -0500
Rick,

If memory serves right ( and that is always questionable) that is
exactly what used to happen at one point.  I believe that Unix systems
still do this, but I would have to test it again.  The metadata for a
file is stored in the TSM database.  At least it was until Active
Directory made the object too large to fit in the DB any more, then it
became bound by the DIRMC.  I believe that Unix systems metadata is
still small enough to fit completely in the DB, and not require a
DIRMC location, and that changes to groups and owners cause only the
metadata to backup.  Granted last time I tested this was about 5 years
ago.

I agree that just changing the ACL should not cause the whole file to
back up, but then, I guess there are trade offs.  You would need logic
in the backup code to make sure that this was the ONLY thing that
changed.  This sounds like extra overhead, and consequently longer
backups.  Just my 2 cents.

Gary
Itrus Technologies