ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question on TSM environment sizes

2008-02-07 14:32:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question on TSM environment sizes
From: Paul Thorson <paul_tdp AT INSIGHTBB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:31:30 -0600
Wow!  Quite a setup.  I've worked on a couple of engagements with 24 x 3592
tape drives, but 72 drives, 1900 paths, and 200 stg agents must be interesting,
to say the least.

Off the top of my head:

Advantages:  1 scratch pool, "lazy man's load balancing", with all TSM clients
accessing all drives.

Disadvantages:  single point of failure with one LM (even if HA'ed, would be a
mess to clean up if a failure occurs while busy, and with 50 TB per night, I
assume the environment is busy 24x7), difficult management and maintenance of
all the paths, spaghetti galore for any VISIO of the environment, D/R requires
tracking all tapes as opposed to a necessary subset, conflict of scheduling if
all 72 drives are in use prempting another instances processing, plus there's
got to be a few other gotchas.

At the risk of offending the architect, it sounds to me like not enough
planning went into the design (which could be due to lack of customer
requirements).  Most shops, with various applications and purposes, would divvy
up the TSM resources (prod, test, QA, DBs, file servers, etc.), and come up
with something that has several specific areas designed for a particular goal.

Do all 200 stg agents need LAN-free?  If less than 300-500 GB, a GB ethernet
connection saves on licensing.  Are all 13 TSM server clients "load balanced",
or would some be better utilized to use more disk for buffering, and fewer than
72 drives for day-to-day processing?

Amazing.