ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?

2007-06-12 11:50:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:48:45 -0400
 VTL and over subscription as I understand it.

Definition: When (tape volume size) X (number of defined volumes) >
native capacity of VTL you have over subscribed.  If you try to fill-up
all your defined volumes to their defined native capacity you will fail
as you will run out of space on your VTL.

Why would one want to over subscribe?  If you define a large tape volume
size (i.e. 100GB), and only want to write 10GB to a tape then yes it
would be neat if the VTL only allocated the actual space written to
virtual tape volume (i.e. 10GB).  When would this be beneficial in the
TSM application?
1) TSM DB backups:  Why waste a 100GB volume for one 20GB backup?

2) Using Collocation:  If you collocate a client with 50GB of space then
why waste a 100GB volume on the client?

But the problem is as you point out, when you move a tape from pending
to scratch the getting the VTL to reclaim the space previously allocated
to the virtual tape volume involves:
A) Checking out the scratch volume from TSM (so it will not attempt to
use it during the following steps)
B) Delete the volume from the VTL (this returns the space to the VTL)
C) Redefining tape volume to the VTL
D) Checking in and labeling the redefined volume into TSM
(I imagine that a VTL could replace steps B & C by truncating a volume,
but you would still have to get TSM to rewrite the truncated label.)

This is not a procedure I wanted to manage in a manual or automated
manner, so I chose the following:
1) Define small virtual tape volumes (i.e. 10GB)
2) Do not use collocation
3) Do not over subscribe

I have found tape mount time to be insignificant and the smaller virtual
tape sizes to makes collocation unnecessary.  This is just my way of
managing the trade offs.

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson