ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?

2007-06-16 04:14:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 04:12:53 -0400
If you are in a pure TSM environment, meaning the VTL is exclusively
used by TSM, how useful is truncating scratch tapes and returning that
space to the VTL's pool of free space?  Unless you use co-location all
volumes are going to be quickly written to their define maximum native
capacity.  The only exception to that would be TSM db backup volumes.
For me, the VTL's short mount/dismount times and using a small size
(10GB) for the defined maximum native capacity has meant I do not
require co-location.  Since my volumes are small even a TSM db backup
would not produce much "wasted" space.

So while it is an interesting behavior, in the above environment, how
relevant is it?

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson