ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?

2007-06-11 18:51:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into a TSM environment?
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:50:20 +0100
Hi there

We too are in the throes of a debate about virtual vs. physical tape
libraries.

On the VTL side, much is made of the ability to over-provision the disk
capacity - eg a 100Gb virtual tape will only occupy as much space on disk
as has been written to it. As a result, so the theory goes, we need only
consider the occupancy when sizing the VTL. In a TSM environment, this
seems to be wrong on a number of counts.

- We still need to take into account the overhead of the reclaimable space
on a virtual tape. This can be managed by varying the reclamation
thresholds, but not eliminated.
- A pending delete volume will still occupy an underlying disk capacity
equivalent to its size.
- Since the conversion of a pending delete volume to a scratch tape takes
place purely in the TSM database, a virtual scratch tape will also occupy
the full disk space on the VTL. until it is re-used.

So am I correct in thinking that in the whole scratch, filling, full,
reclaim, pending, delete, scratch lifecycle of a storage pool volume, the
only time that we get the benefit of the over-provisioning is when it's
filling? In our current physical tape environment (with collocation at the
node level), only about 20% of volumes are filling. Ignoring de-dupe for
now, does it seem reasonable to base the sizing for a replacement on the
total physical tape capacity of the existing library and some estimates of
expected growth.

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Are you a cactus or a sponge?  Go to the on-line quiz at
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/becool to find out how water
efficient you are.
Only available in Yorkshire.

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD 2004,
2005 AND 2006

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be
legally privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only
and are subject to the legal notice available at
http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm Yorkshire Water Services
Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682