ADSM-L

Re: Tape Checkin for new AIX Server

2006-12-06 14:22:22
Subject: Re: Tape Checkin for new AIX Server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:20:31 -0500
-----Shannon Bach wrote: -----

>Finally started moving our TSM server off the main frame to a new AIX
>Server. The consultant created AIX scripts for most of the automatic
>processing but I am having problems with the checkin process. I ran
>the following script and it completes successfully but there are
>errors in my activity log which I'll paste below the script.
>
>On my ZOS TSM server I have a script that updates empty volumes to
>readwrite in order to use them for scratch...but I cannot find this
>update in any of the new scripts (TSM or AIX). I don't know if I
>need to add this or not...being a total AIX newbie. If that is not
>the problem can someone tell me what I may be missing?

Storage pool volumes obtained from a scratch pool will not be deleted
from the pool while they are offsite (probably because TSM has no
way of tracking a volume that is not in use and not in a library).
The part of the activity log in your posting included warning
messages indicating that the volumes you were trying to check in
were empty but offsite.

TSM will not allow a volume to be checked in as a scratch volume while
it is in use, even if it is in use only in the peculiar sense
described in the previous paragraph.

We use DRM to manage offsite volumes. We always check in returning
volumes as private volumes and then execute 'move drmedia' commands
to move the volumes from the 'courierretrieve' state to the
'onsiteretrieve' state. This causes the volumes to be returned to
the scratch pool. I am not sure what we would do instead of 'move
drmedia' if we were not using DRM; I suspect we would instead use'update
volume' with 'access=readwrite'.