ADSM-L

Re: OT? TSM in a hospital environment

2006-06-19 15:46:04
Subject: Re: OT? TSM in a hospital environment
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:45:40 -0400
-----David Tyree wrote: -----

>           Are there any folks on the list that are using TSM in a
>hospital?
>
>           Sometimes we have to battle with some of our software
>venders to allow us to backup their system using TSM. Sometimes they
>will tell us that the system is FDA approved as is and must be backed
>up using a built-in tape drive and we can't touch the system. Some
>times that might be believable but not always. It seems that GE
>appears to be especially hard headed in this regard.
>
> We bought into TSM because you back up anything (well most
>anything) and not have to worry about having assorted different tape
>drives scattered everywhere.
>
>           I would like to compare notes with other TSM people if
>possible.

We have usually been able to get vendors to agree to letting us use
TSM. In many cases, this entailed agreeing to a contract clause
stating that we accepted responsibility for the risk of not being
able to recover a system using TSM backups.

There have been a few cases where we were not able to persuade
vendors to give up their favorite backup metadology. In most of these
cases a hospital department ended up signing a contract despite
strong suggestions from the IS department to consider competing
products.

There have been one or two cases where we ended up with a compromise,
such as daily TSM backups of an entire system and weekly backups
of the C drive to local tape.