ADSM-L

Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad

2005-05-27 09:30:57
Subject: Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:30:42 -0400
What I generally do is watch for drive errors and the tapes that cause
it.  If the same drive is causing errors I assume the drive is going.
Each time I receive a tape error I document the date and tape, audit the
tape, if errors exist I move the data off and make it a scratch tape,
otherwise I set the tape back to read/write.  After 3 occurances I move
the data off and throw tape way.  It seems to work well for us.