ADSM-L

When Good Tapes Go Bad

2005-05-27 09:26:41
Subject: When Good Tapes Go Bad
From: Bill Rozmiarek <seniorsoy AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:26:29 -0400
How do you go about determining that a tape is bad and needs to be thrown
replaced? The way I do it is to keep track of any tapes that have been set
to read-only due to an error (q act msg=1411). When I see one, I mark it
read-write and keep track of it. When the same tape gets set to read-only
due to an error a second time, I do a 'move data' if there's anything on it
and then eject it, delete the volume, and replace it with a new tape. I
don't know that that tape is really bad so I could be throwing tapes (and
money) in the garbage unnecessarily.
Is there a way to certify a tape like I can a disk?
How do you determine that a tape needs to be replaced?

-Bill

--
Bill Rozmiarek
http://GatheredTogether.org - Ministries Helping Ministries