ADSM-L

Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad

2005-05-27 10:24:21
Subject: Re: When Good Tapes Go Bad
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:23:54 -0400
Bill - Your tracking of tape problems is just the right thing to do, to
       determine if a tape is really troublesome.

A new tape, being fully used for the first time, may exhibit problems
as usage effectively unwinds it for the first time, and abrades its
surface. Irregularities in winding go away after some spooling; and
surface irregularities may get "polished away" after a few passes.
(In the recording industry, it has been recognized that tapes are at
their best after having been used a few times.)

Tapes which exhibit problems over multiple drives warrant some study
before summarily disposing of them. IBM provides an excellent
facility for this: the tapeutil/ntutil command, where the rwtest
function is one way of exercising and evaluating a tape. (A tape
being overwritten like this should be checked out of TSM, and be
processed by 'Label Libvolume' if returned to TSM service.)

Don't hesitate to return defective newish tapes to their manufacturer
for refund or replacement, as there can be bad batches, and that
should be their penalty, not the customer's.

   Richard Sims