ADSM-L

storage management/tools

2005-04-14 16:19:25
Subject: storage management/tools
From: Egon Blouder <egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:18:14 -0400
Hi,

due to our huge volume of data/files to backup (and restore) my PHB is looking
for a "new" storage architecture.
He wants to offload or archive files off Windows file servers which are rarely
accessed. Those files should be stored on cheap storage media like SATA drivers
and when files aren't used for about half a year a migration to tapes should be
done (Is that HSM?).
Always our users should access their files without a differnet tool than just
run windows explorer/word/excel and open that file off our windows servers. The
storage tool should care about where the location of the file is and retrieve
it asap. If it's on tape delay must be accepted.

I don't know whether that the mailing list that can point me into a "new"
direction but I thought that TSM client offers such a feature. Unfortunately I
cannot find how to setup it.

Which do people cut down the increase of data/files which must be kept online
on our Windows file servers?

Regards,

--..

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.