ADSM-L

Re: storage management/tools

2005-04-15 07:58:12
Subject: Re: storage management/tools
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:56:56 -0400
The often-mentioned HSM for Windows is Legato DiskXtender.
But I think your PHB is missing the big picture, which is that your
company needs a data strategy in general. A file system approach to a
much larger issue is really missing the, um, point. Information
technology and business magazines are full of articles about companies
struggling with data growth, and offer many examples of how they have
found solutions. The overly general "Storage Manager" portion of the
TSM product name is unfortunate in today's data storage milieu in that
it gives managers the false impression that the product is far more
encompassing than it is intended to be, leading them to ask TSM
administrators to apply the costly product to solve issues it cannot.
Few companies have data architects, though most desperately need them.
I would encourage your company to step back and take in the larger
view, and work toward an overall approach to the storage, management,
and use of its valuable, growing data.

   Richard Sims